Sunday, May 20, 2012

Braised shitake mushrooms and chicken feet

I was always afraid to make this favorite dish - braised shitake mushrooms and chicken feet. It turns people off when one mention chicken feet, the gelatinous texture of a well simmered feet is yummy. This is one of the item on my bucket list to do. I conquered it.

My mom cooked this dish with my dad's help, when they visited me. Clean the chicken feet, deep fry and soak them in water to clear the oil and then cook them with shitake black mushrooms and black fungus....a dish I savor always growing up, the only dish I would not reject, next to prawns and durians! My mom taught me once since her last visit, and I made it yesterday.

My son was observing my daunting task of frying the feet outside in the backyard with my small electric stove, and the feet caught his attention.

He tried some last night, and called them hotdogs. He ate quite a bit with maggi noodles, and wanted more. He went for seconds, he liked the jello texture and the oyster sauce based gravy.

Now, this indicates that he does have a part of being Chinese in his blood!!




0 comments:

Post a Comment